When the weather turns cold, nothing takes the bite off like a warm cozy home. Unfortunately, we are not the only ones who seek shelter in the warm environment. Rodents will also try and get out of the cold, and if they find their way into your home, they can cause many problems. The main cause of concern is rats. This should not be taken lightly as Chicago ranked number one in the country in complaints about rats.
A new report by the apartment search service RentHop has named Chicago the “rat capital” of the country. To come to that conclusion, researchers examined the number of rat complaints in Chicago and three other cities during 2017 (see research).
How do you know if rats have made their way into your home, and why are they so dangerous? Here are some signs that rats or mice have invaded your home:
- You will see black rodent droppings around stored food packages, in pantries, and under the sink.
- You will find shredded paper, insulation from wiring and chewed cloth. All are used as nesting material. The insulation is extremely troublesome as rats have been known to chew through the wiring and actually cause home fires.
- Stored food will show signs of being chewed.
- Holes chewed through walls and floors that create entry points into the home.
- Smells of urine coming from hidden areas.
The dangers these rodents present are real. According to the Center for Disease Control , these diseases are transmitted directly from rodent to human:
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
- Lymphocytic Chorio-meningitis (LCM)
- Rat-Bite Fever
There is also a long list of diseases that can be contracted indirectly from the rodents. These diseases can be deadly in some instances. Don’t take the chance with your family’s health. If you suspect any type of rodent is in your home, call us at Amigos Pest Solution and we will come out and give you a comprehensive inspection, assess the problem, and make it go away.